Monday, October 26, 2009

Hucksters on parade.

I know this "Balloon Boy" crap has been everywhere lately and, if you're anything like me, you're sick of hearing about it by now. So I'll keep this short by saying only two things.

The first is that I learned about it while I was at work on the 15th during our bi-monthly paycheck meeting. We were about to leave when a nearly hysterical Nurse Aide barged in and sprung a prayer meeting on us. In a secular, corporate-owned nursing facility. With the Administrator present, who was content to not only say nothing about the inappropriateness of this, but to join in herself. Seriously. A fundamentalist, 'washed in the blood of the lamb' prayer meeting.

My first thought was, "Let's pra- are you fucking kidding me??"

My second thought, once the subject of the prayer sunk in, was, "Bullshit."

A separate, more detailed post on why I quit my job is forthcoming.

The second thing I will say about this circus is that I find the rapid spread of the internet memes surrounding it immensely entertaining. The best one I've seen yet (click pic to see full size)*:

Cyanide and
Happiness, a daily webcomic
Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

*Even more entertaining when you remember that scene in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' when Indie throws the Nazis overboard on the dirigible, and you replace the Nazis with Balloon Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm too busy goofing off to answer right now, so leave a message. As long as you are not delivering spam, your call will be answered in the order in which it was received. Please keep your hands and feet inside until we come to a complete stop, and remember to take your personal belongings with you as you exit the ride. No refunds, exchanges, or substitutions. Unruly children will be sold to the circus. I like waffles.