Friday, October 9, 2009

Privilege is a bitch.

Salon's advice columnist Cary Tennis got a letter from a woman whose neighbor put a stick in her yard. The author of the letter whines in part:
"It is really upsetting to think I'm supposed to take the high road, put the stick in the trash can and let this arrogant woman continue to Mean Girl anyone she wants. I feel like I've always taken the high road and let people walk all over me and it's clear this woman is used to bullying people. I feel so wrong letting that stick stay in my yard and telling the woman by my inaction that she can vandalize other people's yards."
If I were an advice columnist, my reply might run along these lines:

Dear Unwanted Stick Lady,

While it sounds like an act of passive-aggression on your neighbor's part to walk down and put the stick in your yard rather than knock on the door and tell your husband to stay off their lawn because they'll mow it when they're good and ready, I have to say...

It's a stick. Not a pipe bomb, not a dog turd, not even a publicly visible sign chiding you to mind your own business (which you probably should).

It's a stick, small enough by your own admission to fit into a trash can.

If, after asking nicely while flashing an extra sawbuck, none of your domestics will dispose of said stick in an effective and appropriate manner, I would like to invite you to bring your problems over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm too busy goofing off to answer right now, so leave a message. As long as you are not delivering spam, your call will be answered in the order in which it was received. Please keep your hands and feet inside until we come to a complete stop, and remember to take your personal belongings with you as you exit the ride. No refunds, exchanges, or substitutions. Unruly children will be sold to the circus. I like waffles.